This Keto Breakfast Burrito Is Quick & Easy Not To Mention Delicious!
Id like to get one thing out of the way:
A proper Mexican burrito this is not.
Theres no warm corn tortilla
No orange-tinted meat flecked with onion, pepper, and scented with cumin
So if you were hoping for an authentic Mexican burrito here, I apologize. BUT don’t leave too quickly…
Because there IS salsa, there IS cheese, and of COURSE, there is avocado.
It is keto.
It is delicious.
And it is very easy to make.
I dont mean easy for someone who cooks often and knows their way around a kitchen either I mean easy even for the person who uses their oven as clothing storage.
And thats because this recipe relies on some high-quality, store-bought ingredients that wont break the bank… but will save you a ton of time.BRAND-NEW: 5 Living Nutrients That Can Trigger Rapid Fat Loss!
As someone who has gone to the trouble of making homemade tortillas, salsas, and a variety of slow-cooked burrito fillings (which take hours) making these keto burritos almost feels like cheating.
But isnt that the whole point? 🙂
With this recipe, you get to enjoy not only the feel but also the flavor of a real burrito and still keep doing your keto thing.
The best part is you can eat this burrito in the car, on the train, or standing over your kitchen sink without making a mess, so its perfect if youve got a busy schedule or are always on the go!
Ready to get started?
Here’s how it works:
FTHs 10-Minute Easy Keto Breakfast Burrito
Equipment Needed: Whisk, nonstick pan, spatula, (optional) plastic fork
Recipe Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 1-2, depending on appetite
- 1-2 eggs, depending on preference and pan size (see Recipe Notes)
- 1 heaping Tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 tsp cream cheese, mayonnaise, or keto-friendly store-bought dip (garlic artichoke would work well here, for example)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 ripe avocado, lightly mashed
- 1/4 cup keto-friendly store-bought salsa, the fresher the better (plus more for serving if desired)
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp sauerkraut (optional but recommended see Recipe Notes)
- 2 slices smoked salmon, Canadian bacon, or keto-friendly meat of choice (if using)
- Chopped fresh herbs of choice, such as cilantro, scallions, or parsley
1) Make your tortilla.
Crack the egg (or eggs) into a bowl, and whisk together with the Parm, creamy dip of choice, and about 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh herbs.
Melt the butter in a small nonstick pan over medium-low heat. When the butter is foaming, add in the egg mixture, plus salt and pepper to taste.
(Note: Do not add salt until you pour the eggs into the pan, or your eggs may not look as yellow.)
Agitate the mixture with a plastic fork (preferable) or spatula until it starts to cook a little and come together at the bottom in places. This can take anywhere from 1-3 minutes depending on your stove and the size of pan you use.
Once its cooking, let it continue to cook until it looks almost cooked on top (a little bit of liquid is OK it will continue to cook off of the heat), then turn the heat off, and very carefully slide your tortilla onto a paper towel-lined plate.
Let cool while you tackle the rest:
2) Doctor up that store-bought salsa.
I almost never buy store-bought salsa, but when I do, I usually end up adding fresh ingredients to make it taste better.
This is what youre going to do here.
In a small bowl, combine your salsa of choice (a red tomato-based salsa would work well I like Desert Pepper brand) with the lime juice, cumin, and sauerkraut. Add salt if needed.SPECIAL: New Research Reveals How to Get Your Brain to Tell Your Body to Burn More Fat
3) Roll everything up into a burrito!
If youre using smoked salmon, have that ready to go. If youre using meat that needs cooking, go ahead and cook that.
(The whole point of this recipe is that its easy, so smoked salmon or some other meat that doesnt need cooking like a cured chorizo would be the easiest choice here.)
Season the mashed avocado with salt and pepper. Transfer the tortilla to a plate if eating at home, or position the bottom half on a paper towel if taking it to go.
Spread the avocado in a thick line about one-third of the way toward the center of the tortilla, then top with the salmon (if using), followed by the salsa.
Add more chopped herbs if you have them on hand, then roll up your burrito, starting with the edge closest to the line of food. This should allow you to get the tightest and cleanest roll without anything spilling out.
If youre eating it on a plate, top with more salsa and if youre taking it to go, you can add a dash or two of hot sauce for more flavor (without the mess).
- Depending on your appetite in the morning and the size of the pan you have, you may not want to use 2 eggs for this recipe. In a small pan, the egg mixture made with two eggs can seem more like an omelette than a tortilla. So if you prefer a higher ratio of fresh ingredients, use just one egg.
- Sauerkraut might not sound traditionally Mexican, but did you know that cabbage is used in a LOT of Mexican recipes? In fact, many restaurants in Mexico leave out giant jars of cabbage and other veggies on the tables so the cabbage ferments naturally and takes on a flavor very similar to sauerkraut. This burrito is paying homage to that. (Plus, even if you hate sauerkraut, it doesnt come through strongly in the finished product.)
5 Variations So You Can Eat A New & Tasty Keto Breakfast Burrito Every Day Of The Week
Obviously, if you eat the same thing every day youre probably going to get a little sick of it.
And when you’re on a diet like keto, that’s a dangerous thing! Boredom often leads to taking shortcuts that sabotage your weight loss… or even falling off the “diet wagon” entirely.
To help you avoid that, I have some variations for this recipe that will give you the variety you need. And they’re all healthy and slimming!
So here are some other filling options you can try that take about the same amount of effort, but deliver big on flavor:
1) Mash the avocado with cilantro, lime juice, and about 1 Tbsp of chopped red onion, then top with two slices of bacon for a take on a bacon, egg, and cheese
2) Saute some spinach with a little goat cheese, then top with roasted red peppers for a fresh vegetarian takeBRAND NEW: These Delicious Desserts Can Help You Burn Fat & Lose Weight
3) For an easy but highly flavorful burrito, layer kimchi and avocado in the tortilla and roll it up just make sure the kimchi is probiotic!
4) If you like Greek food, try combining Greek yogurt tzatziki with chopped tomato, red onion, cucumber, and sauteed ground lamb…
5) And for a more authentic take, saute chorizo in a pan, then top with oaxaca cheese (its a stringy Mexican cheese cotija would also work), sliced avocado, cilantro, and chopped onion.
The key is to combine ingredients that have the right flavors and textures going on.
So if you have an idea of your own for customizing this recipe with your own favorite flavors… go for it! Experimentation is how I’ve found some of my favorite recipes.
Heres a simple template you can follow whenever youre in the mood to make this recipe your own:
Heres A Simple Template You Can Use To Make This Recipe Your Own
When youre making a meal in the kitchen whether its a keto burrito or not there are 3 things you need to really make your tastebuds sing and your belly happy:
1) Something crunchy
2) Something fresh
3) The right balance of flavors and nutrients
That last one is especially true if youre doing keto because it really doesnt take much to throw your system out of ketosis (fat-burning mode) and back into weight-gaining mode.
So for the keto burrito, weve got the crunch from the sauerkraut freshness from the herbs and as far as flavors go, theres a balance of sweet (tomatoes), sour (lime), salty (salt, duh lol), bitter (cumin), and umami/savory (sauerkraut).
Theres also an AMAZING balance of nutrients too, because sauerkraut if its probiotic is loaded with the kind of beneficial bacteria that can help with so many things:
- It can decrease bloating
- Keep you fuller longer
- And one study even found this probiotic nutrient, found in certain brands of sauerkraut, can reduce your belly fat by up to 8.5% if you eat it often enough!
(I don’t know about you, but this list of benefits makes me want to add probiotic foods to just about every meal! Hello, smaller waistline!)
So if youre doing keto, or just watching your weight in general, it often helps to eat as many foods as possible with these specific probiotic nutrients:
[Note: This post was updated by Fit Trim Happy on November 24, 2019.]