Tasty & Healthy Southern Rice & Black Beans Recipe
Click Here to See the Doctors Secret That Can Melt Pounds of Fat in Just 12 Weeks
Every Southerner knows that theres no better meal at the end of a long day than black beans and rice. Its a perfect dinner and also makes a great, filling lunch.
Served alongside cornbread or on its own, this meatless meal is both delicious and affordable.
Its also very filling so you wont have to worry about being hungry again 30 minutes later which would probably lead to some quarantine snacking.
This recipe calls for whole-grain brown rice for extra protein and fiber, and of course, black beans. Using spices that are already in your pantry, alongside a fresh onion (if you have it), makes it irresistible.SPECIAL: Researcher Discovers The Million-Year-Old Diet That Allows This Tribe To Stay Slim & Healthy Even While Eating Sugar
And if you dont have exactly all of the ingredients listed below dont worry! As youll see in the recipe notes, there are plenty of ways to adjust and customize this Southern rice and beans recipe to make it fit your needs.
Plus, because this meal is so lean and good for you, you wont feel bad about your whole family eating it all in one sitting!
Im willing to bet you have some rice and beans stuck somewhere in the back of your pantry! So for a healthy, nutritious, and satisfying meal
Heres how to make Southern black beans and rice:
FTHs Southern Black Beans & Rice
- 1 15-oz can of black beans
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- tsp cayenne pepper
- tsp salt
1) Prepare rice according to instructions on the package. While rice is cooking, chop up onion and mince garlic.
2) Heat oil on a skillet, then add onion and garlic. Sautee until onions are translucent and fragrant. Drain beans, then add the beans, cumin, and cayenne pepper to the skillet.
3) Cook beans until heated through. When rice is ready, add salt, then plate. Dish beans on top of rice and serve hot.
- No canned beans? No problem! You can use dried beans instead. Follow the package directions for soaking the beans ahead of time and cooking them. (I usually just soak my beans overnight the day before I plan to use them.) If you have a pressure cooker/Instant Pot, you can speed up that process and often eliminate the need to soak the beans. Also, although this recipe is written for black beans, you can make a substitution if you need to. Feel free to switch it up with pinto beans, kidney beans, or Great Northern beans.
- As written, this black beans and rice recipe calls for brown rice which is both delicious and nutritious! However, you dont HAVE to use brown rice if you dont have any (or simply dont like it). Basically any type of rice will work for this recipewhite, instant, etc. Simply cook it according to package directions and add to the recipe as instructed.
- Fresh out of fresh onions? Or fresh garlic? Or both? Dont worry! You can easily use garlic powder and onion powder in this recipe. If you have dehydrated onion, that works too. After all, at this time, its all about using what youve got.
How Eating This 3x A Week Can Help You Passively Peel Off The Pounds (Its Science!)…
You might not think of rice and beans as health foods… but did you know there are 7 grams of protein in 1/2 cup of beans, and nearly 5 grams of protein in 1 cup of rice?
Thats more than 25% of the daily recommended protein intake for the average woman! 
Which is great, because more protein means youll stay fuller longer and wont go foraging in your quarantine snack stash late at night. (Speaking from experience haha!)
And did you know eating more protein can help you lose weight faster even when you arent going to the gym, or dieting??
One recent study found adding this specific amount of protein to your diet can help you burn up to 441 MORE calories the next day.
Thats without doing anything different than you otherwise would other than eating a little bit more.
Um, where do I sign up?! 🙂
If youve been stress eating a lot more like I have this is GREAT news.
By adding this recipe to your regular dinner rotation a few times a week or simply by eating a few more protein-packed snacks many of which are pantry staples, like peanut butter (and cheese!!)…
you can boost your metabolism, and still lose weight and heres the delightful science that proves it (and how to do it):
Click Here To See The Science Behind Eating Protein For Weight Loss (Plus 2 More Easy, Low Effort Ways To Burn More Fat)